HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Module User Guide
Last week, we really released many user guides and video tutorials, including Bluetooth Bee, Bluetooth Modem, NFC shield/module, and we do not know whether they are beneficial for your operation or not. If you have any advice or idea for our tutorial or technical support, please feel free to contact us. This time, we launched the HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Module User Guide, and our technician also wrote HC-SR04 demo for the widespread DIY hobbyists to download. Take a look.
Part 1 Ultrasonic Introduction
The human ear can hear sound frequency around 20HZ ~ 20KHZ, and ultrasonic is the sound wave beyond the human ability of 20KHZ . The principle of ultrasonic distance measurement used the already-known air spreading velocity, measuring the time from launch to reflection when it encountered obstacle, and then calculate the distance between the transmitter and the obstacle according to the time and the velocity. Thus, the principle of ultrasonic distance measurement is the same with radar. Distance Measurement formula is expressed as: L = C X T In the formula, L is the measured distance, and C is the ultrasonic spreading velocity in air, also, T represents time (T is half the time value from transmitting to receiving ).
- Ultrasonic measurement of distance, depth and thickness;
- Ultrasonic testing;
- Ultrasound imaging;
- Ultrasonic machining, such as polishing, drilling;
- Ultrasonic cleaning;
- Ultrasonic welding;
Part 2 HC-SR04 Introduction
Module Operating Principle
Set low the Trig and Echo port when the module initializes , firstly, transmit at least 10us high level pulse to the Trig pin (module automatically sends eight 40K square wave), and then wait to capture the rising edge output by echo port, at the same time, open the timer to start timing. Next, once again capture the falling edge output by echo port, at the same time, read the time of the counter, which is the ultrasonic running time in the air. According to the formular: test distance = (high level time * ultrasonic spreading velocity in air) / 2, you can calculate the distance to the obstacle.
- Stable performance
- Accurate distance measurement
- Small blind
- Robotics barrier
- Object distance measurement
- Level detection
- Public security
- Parking detection
Part 3 Use Freaduino UNO to test HC-SR04
Connection Description：D2<------>Trig D3<------>Echo (The users can define the connection pin by themselves)
Note：You need to set the Freaduino UNO switch in 5V Side when use together with HC-SR04 Module.
1. HCSR04 library function description Long timing()
Function name: timing Parameters: None Return Value: the time of ultrasonic from the transmitter to the receiver
float CalcDistance(long microsec,int metric)
- microsec: the time of ultrasonic from the transmitter to the receiver
- metric: Set the unit of the return value ( the value of 1 for cm, and the value of 0 for in )
Return Value: the measured distance
2. Add the HC-SR04 Library
Step1: Download the Demo Code of HCSR04 Ultrasonic from address http://www.elecfreaks.com/store/download/product/Sensor/HC-SR04/HCSR04Ultrasonic_demo.zip and then unpack it to get the file of HCSR04 Ultrasonic.
Step2: Add the file of HCSR04 Ultrasonic in the file of Arduino-1.0.X / libraries. Step3: If you can see the Example of HCSR04 Ultrasonic in Arduino IDE, the adding of HC-SR04 library has been successful.
3. Test the Module with the Examples of Library File
- Open Arduino IDE 1.0.X, and choose the corresponding board and serial port.
- Click file/ examples/ HCSR04Ultrasonic until the code pop up.
- Compiling sketch until Done uploading appears, which represents the uploading has been successful.
- Open serial monitor and set the corresponding BaudRate.
- If you see similar information in serial monitor as below, you succeeded.